Laird Cabin Circa late 1800’s.
The Laird Cabin, built by James Gilbert Laird, was originally located on Squaw Creek. James Laird came to the Lander Valley in 1868. He married Matilda “Tillie” Maude Rogers when she was only 14 years of age. They had 14 children, only eleven of whom survived to adulthood. James served in the Civil War, in the Navy, and was reported to be one of the best farmers in the valley.
The Laird Cabin houses a permanent National Forest Service exhibit. This exhibit contains items from over 80 years ago.