Laird Cabin

Laird Cabin Circa late 1800’s  

The Laird Cabin was built by James Gilbert Laird and was originally located on Squaw Creek.  James Laird came to the Lander Valley in 1868.  He married Matilda “Tillie” Maude Rogers when she was only 14 years of age. They had 14 children of whom only eleven survived to adulthood.  James served in the Civil War in the Navy and was reported to be one of the best farmers in the valley.  

The Laird cabin houses a permanent National Forest Service exhibit.  This exhibit contains items from over 80 years ago.